The Pinterest profile looks keeps evolving and I have since changed my stance on creating custom board covers. Choosing a simple lifestyle photo without text will make for a clean looking profile look. Updated December 2017.
CAUTION: Do not spend time on creating custom board covers if you have not converted your account to a business account or cleaned up your boards first. This is not business building, it’s a way to step up your game after you’ve honed in on your audience, tightened up your boards, and you’re firm on strategy. If those things are not in place, this is just a way to avoid doing those tasks first.
With that said, let’s walk you through how to create your own simple custom board covers. We’ve also discovered some glitches so learn from our mistakes.
How to Make Your Custom Board Covers
1. First, you’ll need to decide whether you want to do solid board covers or an image with a semi-transparent colored backdrop.
2. Use a square sized image of 600×600 px.
3. When choosing an image be sure that it does not have text. The edit function for the board covers will not allow you to target in on the pin. Choosing an image without text makes this much easier.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks on how to create your own board covers:
- Choose 1-5 colors that match your branding.
- Keep your fonts consistent.
- Use simple photos with boring backgrounds so that the text is the main focus.
What do you think? Are you a fan of the board covers?
FYI — I have a private Facebook group where I love to chat all about Pinterest. Join me.
Take Your Pinterest Marketing to the Next Level!
• Monthly action tips
• What's trending
• Exclusive pinning checklist
• Plus, so much more!